Robinson's Food Market before Legion takeover
389-391 Richmond Rd. before
1947 a few veterans from the Westboro area
banded together to form a Legion Branch; the
Charter for Nepean Branch 480 was granted on
13 Feb 1948. Eighteen members were listed on
the Charter. The meetings were held in the Oddfellows Hall,
in members homes & basements, or any available location.
<< Click any image on the left to enlrarge
The Branch later moved into the Cook Memorial Hall on
In Nov 1968 the members
decided the Branch should have a home of their own. They
bought 375-381 Richmond Rd, which included a shop & two
apartments for $34,900.00 & the Branch opened their
doors in January 1969 for meetings & social functions. The
Grand Opening, parade & dinner took place on 3 May 1969.
By 1972 Executive & members had increased to 100 members making the
building too small It was sold in the Fall of 1972, &
389-391 Richmond was purchased in January 1973, formerly
Robinson's IGA store. Apparently a great deal of hard
work & many man hours were spent to convert it into a
However, since the membership was still growing, it was
decided to build an addition to it on the upstairs.
During the summer of 1978, reconstruction began to make
the addition to the 2nd floor. Capacity was increased
from 50 to the present 200 plus upstairs.
It was decided in 1985 to
change the name from Nepean Branch 480 to Westboro
Branch 480 as it was no longer in the Township of
From the lowly beginning
in a small barbershop to a membership of close to 500
and the facilities, we have, this day, officially
opened, is indeed quite an accomplishment for Nepean
480. An accomplishment that could not have survived
without the dedication and hard work from a strong core
of members. To them we extend a sincere "Thank You".
Dated April 7th, 1979.